Monday, September 3, 2012

Because we've always done it that way!

I remarked in the sermon yesterday that the famous last words of the church* are

BECAUSE WE'VE ALWAYS DONE IT THAT WAY!

or variously, BECAUSE WE'VE NEVER DONE IT THAT WAY!

An astute member of the congregation reminded me of this story:

A man watched his wife prepare the country ham for their Christmas dinner.  First she cut off one end, and then the other, and then placed the large center in the pan.  The two ends were included, wedged in, just no longer attached.

He asked her why she did that.  "Because my mother did it that way!"

A call to mother ensued.  "Why did you do that?" "Because my mother always did it that way!"

Finally, the call the Grandma.  "Why did you cut the ends off the ham?"
"I don't know about the others, but my pan was too small to hold the whole ham."

Let those who have ears listen.  


*And I mean any church, but of course, if the shoe fits, Episcopalians, wear it!

No comments: